We are a reading kind of household.
I read when I cook and blow dry my hair. I read to relax, to escape, and to learn and I can't imagine being happy with out it.
Christian and Allie wake up early and stay up late to read. They don't go anywhere without a book in hand. Their favorite gifts are book store gift cards. (Thanks, Grandma - they spent every dime!)
This week Michael has started on his very own reading adventure.
I pulled out the Hooked on Phonics set and we're giving it a go.
He is very cute about the whole thing. The books start out super easy and he's so excited when he can read a whole book all by himself. We only spend about 10 minutes a day doing it - plenty long enough for a 5 year old!
We put a new chart on the refrigerator ( in addition to the other charts we have for doing the carpool with a smile, chores, etc. - we're loaded with charts right now!) and he gets a star for each book that he reads and then at the end of the level, we'll go to the store and he can get a toy.
I'm hoping that if we work on it every day that he'll be zooming along by the time kindergarten starts next year. I'm hoping and praying!!!
1 comment:
Good luck! Frank and I both love reading. I'm always trying to figure out how to cook and read at the same time! The boys haven't learned to love it like we do, but they do enjoy a good book once in a while!
Post a Comment